Okay I call myself a liberal which I hold to mean:
- Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
- Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
Here are some of my views:
- I believe very firmly in the freedom and privacy of individuals - especially under the threat of terrorism.
- I am concerned about Saddam Hussein yet still believe that a UK/US war on Iraq is a bad idea (especially if it's all about oil).
- I am in favour of European integration and the UK adopting the Euro.
- I am worried about rising crime but do not think filling jails with young men is the answer.
- I am worried about my health and how to pay for all the medical treatment I am bound to require (if I live long enough).
- I wonder if we are on the edge of an ecological disaster and we keep building roads.
Are there any people out there who do not see themselves as a liberal who can find themselves in agreement with one or two of these points and would care to discuss some of the others? Or suggest some of their own?