Tuesday, October 04, 2005

All your symbols are belong to us

I've now lost the trail of breadcrumbs which lead me here, but I just read an article by Brad Parker about his efforts to revive the code from one of the MIT Lisp machines. He and a co-conspirator have gotten an emulator running which allows the Lisp machine to boot and talk to the network.

Practical? No. But I find the idea of a Lisp machine (a computer which is Lisp from the hardware upwards) intriguing so it's an interesting slice of history.

If someone came up with a Lisp operating system for PC hardware I'd play with it. I guess a RubyMachine is too much to ask for :-)

04/10/2005 10:43 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments:
More about:

What's on your bookshelf?

I thought it might be interesting, in the future, for me to see how the books I keep within easy reach evolve. Here is what I find myself reaching for most days:

So, what do you keep close at hand?

04/10/2005 12:11 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments:
More about:

Hands up Safari!!

I keep hearing people talking about how Safari is dreadful, crap, what have you. I guess that, since I installed Saft, i've not felt that. It looks nice, it seems fast and, if the history and bookmarks leave something to be desired, well there's always version 3. And GreaseMonkey? Who needs it when I have MouseHole? (Check it out, it's very cool).

However, lately, I've been starting to feel that Safari is indeed cursed. One thing it seems prone to do a lot (for a MacOSX app) is crash.

It seems that all my crashes happen at around the same point: between Safari starting and finishing loading a page. If I try and stop it, if I click a link before it's finished, or try to go back before it's finished. Well there seems to be a good chance it will crash.

Again, Saft limits the damage by recovering the lost page addresses (if not any dynamic or form content). But you have to wonder why that feature got implemented. Was it, by any chance, because Safari crashes regularly?

To keep things in proportion this doesn't happen that often, largely because I am learning to be patient and let Safari finish loading a page before doing anything. Also a crash on MacOSX always seems so much less serious than Windows. The app crashes, I report it, then I run it again and all is well. I've not yet seen one crash lead to anything worse.

If I had one wish for MacOSX 1.4.3 it would be a more stable Safari.

04/10/2005 17:36 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments:

Eat your heart out GreaseMonkey

It's amazing what the MouseHole web proxy can do:

See, here’s some incredible advantages over Greasemonkey and any other competition I’ve encountered. MouseHole allows user scripts to act as full web applications. In this case, the writeboard feeds are watched and applicable IDs and tokens are stored in the script’s own database. [RedHanded]

04/10/2005 19:17 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments:
More about:

Get yer boards in Sync

WriteBoard is the latest app from 37signals. It's a simple, single page, wiki facility. You create a page and can then share it with other authors. Hrmm... okay. They've just announced you can lock pages to prevent conflicts between author edits. Hrmm... okay. But how about implementing SynchroEdit instead?

04/10/2005 19:23 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments:

Models Reloaded!

One of the neat things about Rails is that you can open what's called the Developers Console (it's really irb) and interact directly with your ActiveRecord models. One nit is that, when you make changes, you need to exit and restart. Well not any more, thanks to Courtnay for this trick:

$ script/console
Loading development environment.
>> ..do stuff here..

then modify your model code..
then..