Thursday, May 12, 2005

The 7 laws of securely identifed people

Via Marc I see Digital ID world has lots of interesting things going on. For me in particular the ID Gang meeting with, amongst others, Kim Cameron. The work PAOGA is doing is totaly congruent with 6 out of 7 of Kim's 7 laws of identity:

1. The Law of Control: Technical identity systems MUST only reveal information identifying a user with the user's consent.
  2. The Law of Minimal Disclosure: The solution which discloses the least identifying information is the most stable, long-term solution.
  3. The Law of Fewest Parties: Technical identity systems MUST be designed so the disclosure of identifying information is limited to parties having a necessary and justifiable place in a given identity relationship.
  4. The Law of Directed Identity: A universal identity system MUST support both "omnidirectional" identifiers for use by public entities and "unidirectional" identifiers for use by private entities, thus facilitating discovery while preventing unnecessary release of correlation handles.
  5. The Law of Pluralism: A universal identity system MUST channel and enable the interworking of multiple identity technologies run by multiple identity providers.
  6. The Law of Human Integration: The universal identity system MUST define the human user to be a component of the distributed system, integrated through unambiguous human-machine communications mechanisms offering protection against identity attacks.
  7. The Law of Contexts: The unifying identity metasystem MUST facilitate negotiation between a relying party and user of a specific identity - presenting a harmonious human and technical interface while permitting the autonomy of identity in different contexts.
We've taken a pragmatic approach to #5 'pluralism'. Right now we don't integrate with other identity platforms. But as identity management services gain ground it will become a key issue for users. I forsee us adopting #5 in due course.

12/05/2005 10:41 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments:

Apparently I have much to worry about

DisorderRating
Paranoid:High
Schizoid:High
Schizotypal:Moderate
Antisocial:High
Borderline:Moderate
Histrionic:Very High
Narcissistic:Very High
Avoidant:High
Dependent:Moderate
Obsessive-Compulsive:High

-- Personality Disorder Test --
-- Personality Disorder Information --

And I answered no to the ESP questions damnit...

12/05/2005 11:01 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments:
More about:

This blog has many facets (well 2 anyway)

After a gap of nearly 3 years I am, once again, publishing an XFML facet map of my weblog.

The facetmap links the posts I have published to occurrences of topics I have used. I am also automatically generating a Date Of Publication facet which allows you to drill-down by year, month, and then date along with selecting topics. This can be demo'd at via Trav Wilson's FacetMap service.

The current map of my site is browseable, as an example posts I wrote in November 2003 concerning email.

12/05/2005 11:19 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments:
More about:

Ruby

Ruby: less is more, in a most elegant fashion.
12/05/2005 13:08 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments:
More about:

The Tiger has claws

Not everyones happy in Tigerland:

The Internet is filled with angry OS X Tiger upgraders, there are security exploits, the whole thing is a mess. [Sam Gentile's Blog]
I'm hoping they'll have 10.4.1 out in July when I look to buy.

12/05/2005 16:39 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments:
More about:

A little respect

Let me be clear about a definition here: disrespect is in the eye of the beholder. It occurs when someone feels slighted, or demeaned, or undervalued or lied to. There is no absolute measurement, and, because it's relative, people will surely disagree about whether or not it has occurred at all.

...

All the other person had to do was use a one or two sentences and the whole thing would have been fine. Almost all the instances of disrespect didn't have to do with the substance of the transaction, it was the style of it. If the person had accepted some responsibility and acknowledged how I might feel, the outcome wasn't really a big deal.

...

People have a hard time with this. If someone feels as though they're treating you technically correctly, they don't want to apologize. They don't want to acknowledge the feelings of the other side. This is awfully short-sighted. These are words that are worth thousands and thousands of dollars in lost sales and word of mouth.

[Seth Godin's Blog]

12/05/2005 16:50 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments:
More about:

Truly a fate worse than death

[Via Seth Godin]

12/05/2005 16:53 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments:
More about:

Terry Frazier MIA

Can it be true? My good fried Terry is gone?

We are sad to report this morning the tragic death of blogger Terry Frazier. Mr. Frazier, whose real name was Mr. Frazier, disappeared from weblogs.com sometime in late March or early April. His unheralded and unmarked disappearance went unnoticed for some time, until friends and relatives reported him missing. Authorities have been uncooperative to date, ignoring repeated calls for assistance. -- [From the ghost of Terry Frazier's Weblog]

Perhaps we should call in the Feds?

12/05/2005 20:56 by Matt Mower | Permalink | comments: